Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Every Louisville men's basketball scholarship player enters transfer portal
Bookmark and Share
huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU
You think NIU has it bad.....wow it is the wild, wild west out there. I am guessing almost have of the Cardinals will be moving down or out.....
04-03-2024 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
RE: Every Louisville men's basketball scholarship player enters transfer portal
Coaching change. We are still stuck with ours.
04-03-2024 09:21 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
The NCAA and the transfer portal are ruining college basketball the most, but every sport as well.
04-03-2024 09:26 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies

Donators
(04-03-2024 09:26 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  The NCAA and the transfer portal are ruining college basketball the most, but every sport as well.

This is the reason why I gave up on college sports. There is no continuity or loyalty. It’s every player for himself. He’s great and he goes to the portal. He stinks and he goes to the portal. I have a feeling these kids will learn a lesson soon.
04-03-2024 10:12 AM
BigChilla Offline
1st String

(04-03-2024 09:26 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  The NCAA and the transfer portal are ruining college basketball the most, but every sport as well.

Disagree about football. The teams that were truly raided are the big boys. They can’t sit on QBs any more. The game is going to become more even.
04-03-2024 10:35 AM
huskies77 Offline
Bench Warmer

Hasn’t ruined it for me. I love the game and the choreography hasn’t changed.
04-03-2024 10:56 AM
Advertisement

ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

The transfer portal will settle down and come to the mean, but likely going to take a few years for the athletes to figure out the risk and lack of something is better out there than where they are currently. It will happen though & college sports will get back to some sort of normalcy.
04-03-2024 12:54 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(04-03-2024 12:54 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  The transfer portal will settle down and come to the mean, but likely going to take a few years for the athletes to figure out the risk and lack of something is better out there than where they are currently. It will happen though & college sports will get back to some sort of normalcy.

1. Why do you think this?

and

2. What is the mean?

Every year, its new kids coming into the system with the same inflated egos and same freedom to do whatever they see fit. Why would they all of a sudden stop utilizing the portal to chase their wild dreams and God's Way with nothing to slow them down or prevent them from doing it?

If there is no one telling them its a bad idea or that they are better off where they are...so expecting a bunch of overly confident young guys to have some semblance of self-awareness is very unlikely.

I mean...Tyler Cochran has been at 3 different MAC schools and is in the portal again. If anyone would have thought...hey...maybe there isn't something magical out there and I've found my mean...then I don't seem some new kid coming into the level doing anything different.
04-03-2024 01:05 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

(04-03-2024 10:12 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

This is the reason why I gave up on college sports. There is no continuity or loyalty. It’s every player for himself. He’s great and he goes to the portal. He stinks and he goes to the portal. I have a feeling these kids will learn a lesson soon.

It is rent a player. I wonder how many players graduate if they have transferred more than two time in career. Education is not important
04-04-2024 01:04 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

(04-04-2024 01:04 PM)Klake1987 Wrote:  
(04-03-2024 10:12 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

It is rent a player. I wonder how many players graduate if they have transferred more than two time in career. Education is not important

Spot on. I have been stating this for the last year or so. The old system my have been unfair, but I think it did produce a lot more players with degrees at the end of their careers. Now medium talent players get a few grand in NIL, then what? No degree and low job prospects. Next big thing is that they will ask to do away with eligibility altogether. Then you can have teams of 30 year wash out semi pro players for your team.
04-04-2024 02:11 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
https://hls.harvard.edu/today/peter-carf...mateurism/

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
04-04-2024 02:44 PM
Advertisement

ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

(04-03-2024 01:05 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(04-03-2024 12:54 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  The transfer portal will settle down and come to the mean, but likely going to take a few years for the athletes to figure out the risk and lack of something is better out there than where they are currently. It will happen though & college sports will get back to some sort of normalcy.

and

2. What is the mean?

Every year, its new kids coming into the system with the same inflated egos and same freedom to do whatever they see fit. Why would they all of a sudden stop utilizing the portal to chase their wild dreams and God's Way with nothing to slow them down or prevent them from doing it?

If there is no one telling them its a bad idea or that they are better off where they are...so expecting a bunch of overly confident young guys to have some semblance of self-awareness is very unlikely.

I mean...Tyler Cochran has been at 3 different MAC schools and is in the portal again. If anyone would have thought...hey...maybe there isn't something magical out there and I've found my mean...then I don't seem some new kid coming into the level doing anything different.
Big Red- word will get out over time that transferring from school to school only moves your issues, does not solve them. I know that new kids come in, but knowledge and failed transfer stories do get passed on from season to season. I do not know what the mean is, and there is a fair question. I know the mean will not be entire rosters being flipped like NIU and Louisville this season.
04-04-2024 04:30 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(04-04-2024 04:30 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  

and

2. What is the mean?

Big Red- word will get out over time that transferring from school to school only moves your issues, does not solve them. I know that new kids come in, but knowledge and failed transfer stories do get passed on from season to season. I do not know what the mean is, and there is a fair question. I know the mean will not be entire rosters being flipped like NIU and Louisville this season.

I'm going to hope we just will agree to disagree because I see no one learning any lessons from any of this until way after the fact and each new group that comes into the machine is going to be just as naive, misguided, lied to and egotistic as the one that preceded it.

If we know anything about young males. We know they tend to have a sense of immortality, they are often risk takers and they often think they know way more than the older generations. And to add onto it, they are all alphas who were almost always "can do no wrong" from where they came from.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2024 07:06 PM by Big Red.)
04-04-2024 07:05 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Schools like Louisville and Michigan have an excuse for large roster turnovers since they are going through coaching changes. Burno really has no excuse to have lost more than half his scholarship players and 6 of his top 7 point scorers to the portal except these players don't believe in him and are tired of losing.
04-04-2024 07:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
McG Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-04-2024 07:05 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

and

2. What is the mean?

I'm going to hope we just will agree to disagree because I see no one learning any lessons from any of this until way after the fact and each new group that comes into the machine is going to be just as naive, misguided, lied to and egotistic as the one that preceded it.

If we know anything about young males. We know they tend to have a sense of immortality, they are often risk takers and they often think they know way more than the older generations. And to add onto it, they are all alphas who were almost always "can do no wrong" from where they came from.

I'm curious to see what happens on the financial side. I read something that AJ Storr left Wisconsin looking for 1million from his next school, was getting offers of 750k.

At what point does a booster or NIL funder go that's a lot of money for a player. Everything in America is a business, will these be like baseball or European soccer where you can spend unchecked? Maybe for now, but I think the powers that be will step in and try to create some sort of payment cap or payment structure for players. These are college kids, not professionals, a lot more risk on people's investment into these schools, so I think there will start to be some movement on the legal side as to what they can implement under the current law to either reign in spending or tie these kids to schools a little bit more.
04-05-2024 09:12 AM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(04-05-2024 09:12 AM)McG Wrote:  

and

2. What is the mean?

I'm curious to see what happens on the financial side. I read something that AJ Storr left Wisconsin looking for 1million from his next school, was getting offers of 750k.

At what point does a booster or NIL funder go that's a lot of money for a player. Everything in America is a business, will these be like baseball or European soccer where you can spend unchecked? Maybe for now, but I think the powers that be will step in and try to create some sort of payment cap or payment structure for players. These are college kids, not professionals, a lot more risk on people's investment into these schools, so I think there will start to be some movement on the legal side as to what they can implement under the current law to either reign in spending or tie these kids to schools a little bit more.

If schools provide the NIL money - or part of it - the fans will end up paying through higher ticket, parking, and benefit costs. It will be like the pros. That’s when saner minds need to say enough with this crap and stop emptying their bank accounts to support the team. It’s a lot cheaper to watch the games on TV or stream.
04-05-2024 09:30 AM
Advertisement

HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

(04-05-2024 09:30 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(04-05-2024 09:12 AM)McG Wrote:  
(04-03-2024 01:05 PM)Big Red Wrote:  1. Why do you think this?

and

2. What is the mean?

If schools provide the NIL money - or part of it - the fans will end up paying through higher ticket, parking, and benefit costs. It will be like the pros. That’s when saner minds need to say enough with this crap and stop emptying their bank accounts to support the team. It’s a lot cheaper to watch the games on TV or stream.

Like I said above. This will continue until they drop any pretense of attending the school for which you play. Bunch of semi pros moving from college town to college town. No interest in this what so ever.
04-05-2024 12:41 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
04-05-2024 01:29 PM
Klake1987 Offline
2nd String

(04-05-2024 01:29 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  https://www.outkick.com/sports/aj-storr-...ion-report

Its the minor leagues.

Pro sports were happy with colleges being their minor leagues. Cheaper for them with less risk. Now with NIL, the donations going to the schools is/will be less because going directly to the players. Yes B1G, SEC schools, for most part, will be fine but rich will get richer. Why does Alabama have to offer a 5 star QB a measly scholarship. They can recruit using NIL deals and save scholarships to use on players with potential. The 85 scholarship limit can be skirted.
04-05-2024 01:42 PM
CoachPMac Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The MAC and Akron
(04-05-2024 01:42 PM)Klake1987 Wrote:  
(04-05-2024 01:29 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  https://www.outkick.com/sports/aj-storr-...ion-report

Its the minor leagues.

Pro sports were happy with colleges being their minor leagues. Cheaper for them with less risk. Now with NIL, the donations going to the schools is/will be less because going directly to the players. Yes B1G, SEC schools, for most part, will be fine but rich will get richer. Why does Alabama have to offer a 5 star QB a measly scholarship. They can recruit using NIL deals and save scholarships to use on players with potential. The 85 scholarship limit can be skirted.

You’re exactly right about the rich getting richer. In basketball, look who made the Elite Eight (3 ACC, 2 SEC, 2 BIG10, and UCONN). While there will absolutely be some March Madness upsets, I believe we’ll see less and less non-power teams make it deep into the tournament. The few that do will likely have their better players enter the portal at the end of their season.

In football, it will be even worse. Look at the MAC alone. Of all the P5 transfers into the MAC from the combined 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes, 14 made an All-MAC team. 12 All-MAC players from the 2023 class alone transferred up to P5. The 2024 class is already over that number of All-MAC players transferring to P5. While the portal may help even the playing field amongst G5 schools (or even close the gap to the lower level P5 schools that also have a hard time competing in the NIL space) it most certainly is not closing the gap of G5 to the majority of P5 schools.

If anyone is wondering the total breakdown (for football) of all players to make an All-MAC team from the combined 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes it looks like this:

P5 Transfers = 14
G5 or Lower = 11
High School = 7
JUCO = 2
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2024 01:02 PM by CoachPMac.)
04-06-2024 07:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.