Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mosque in NYC, Ground zero area
Bookmark and Share
huskiealum03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU & Go Go Sox
Mosque in NYC, Ground zero area
this is definitly a 05-stirthepot topic.....and bound to boil some blood. but opinions on this?
http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/03...te/?hpt=T1

It may hurt and anger many people, but because the USA is the 'land of the free', to not allow it would be hypocrasy against our very core values. i dont' think its a 'liberal' vs. 'conservative' thing even though it will be spun in such a way. its more a 'open old wounds' versus 'stand by the principles of the very freedom we cherish' topic. thoughts?
08-03-2010 11:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
RE: Mosque in NYC, Ground zero area
I think people making such a big deal of it is probably a much bigger problem than the building itself.

If no one had brought so much attention to it, those old wounds wouldn't be opened. If I was the one building the mosque, I'd probably have just put it somewhere else to avoid those who with soft skin / who are easily offended, or just the types who want to complain about everything they can, but it's their right to build it where ever they want. If they don't mind the harassment from the crazies out there, more power to them, but I know I wouldn't want to waste my time with it.

I wouldn't complain about a Christian church or Jewish temple being built somewhere, so I have no right to complain about a mosque. I guess if you want to show people in the Middle East why we believe America's way of life is superior to theirs, proving how free we actually are, and what freedom of religion and free speech are all about, letting them practice their religion openly is a good way to start.
08-03-2010 11:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
No big deal to me(though if you go to the Spin Room, I am a Muslim terrorist and wear an explosives belt and want to reach my 72 virgins). I can't wait to see Dog Fans reply. It should be interesting.
08-03-2010 12:23 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
They should be allowed to build it but they have zero compassion for the victims families. That is why they should not build it. They are inconsiderate bastards.
08-03-2010 06:39 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(08-03-2010 06:39 PM)klake87 Wrote:  They should be allowed to build it but they have zero compassion for the victims families. That is why they should not build it. They are inconsiderate bastards.

How do you know they have zero compassion for the victims families? Because they're muslim?
08-03-2010 06:52 PM
HuskieFan84 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, White Sox
Obviously Muslims can't have compassion Armour.. common knowledge.

I think this sums it up pretty well:
http://cagle.com/working/100802/margulies.jpg
08-03-2010 08:53 PM
Advertisement

HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
This world would be so much better without any religion
08-03-2010 10:12 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
(08-03-2010 06:52 PM)armour248 Wrote:  
(08-03-2010 06:39 PM)klake87 Wrote:  They should be allowed to build it but they have zero compassion for the victims families. That is why they should not build it. They are inconsiderate bastards.

How do you know they have zero compassion for the victims families? Because they're muslim?

They can build this anywhere but they CHOOSE to move forward with it by ground zero. Choose another location. That is all I am saying. They are rubbing in the faces of victims families. It is called doing the right thing but they do not want to do the right thing.
08-04-2010 06:03 AM
Kevin S Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Ground Zero Mosque Funded and Supported by Jihadists, Hamas and the Government of Iran

http://news.yahoo.com/s/weeklystandard/2...arbrooklyn

No Mosque by ground Zero!!!
08-04-2010 08:57 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Yeah screw the constitution! BURN IT!
08-04-2010 10:42 AM
Huskie_Jon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Huskies
(08-03-2010 10:12 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  This world would be so much better without any religion

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is three-fold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." -- Joseph Stalin, former dictator of the Soviet Union

A comrade of yours?

The American Society of Muslim Advancement (ASMA), who are probably not tied to terrorism, have shown themselves to at least be of the same ilk as the Westboro Baptist Church. If the Westboro Baptists had Egyptian funding, they could put a building on Ground Zero too.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2010 10:49 AM by Huskie_Jon.)
08-04-2010 10:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

(08-04-2010 08:57 AM)Kevin S Wrote:  Ground Zero Mosque Funded and Supported by Jihadists, Hamas and the Government of Iran

03-lmfao I am sorry but did I miss something? That was an article written by someone who obviously has an agenda(ie. read the title of his book). Second, nowhere in the article does it say what you claim.
08-04-2010 11:22 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(08-04-2010 10:43 AM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  
(08-03-2010 10:12 PM)HuskieRak Wrote:  This world would be so much better without any religion

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is three-fold: its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within." -- Joseph Stalin, former dictator of the Soviet Union

A comrade of yours?

The American Society of Muslim Advancement (ASMA), who are probably not tied to terrorism, have shown themselves to at least be of the same ilk as the Westboro Baptist Church. If the Westboro Baptists had Egyptian funding, they could put a building on Ground Zero too.
03-lmfao Welcome to the Commie club HuskieRak.
08-04-2010 11:25 AM
NiuCoils Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU HUSKIES

Donators
In the land of the free I'm not sure I support prohibiting this from being built, but having said that, I think it's a d!ck move to put it there even with supposed good intentions.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2010 12:01 PM by NiuCoils.)
08-04-2010 12:00 PM
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
(08-04-2010 10:43 AM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  

A comrade of yours?

Stalin and I go way back.. Almost best friends. Good times drinking vodka with him at the Kremlin
08-04-2010 12:37 PM
Huskie359 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU & SOX

I can certainly see along this line of thinking. How many have died in the history of the world in the name of whomever or whatever God they believed in? Millions? Tens of Millions? Hundreds of Millions?

What if everyone's religion was simply adhere to the "Golden Rule?"

It's an interesting philosophical debate that likely goes well beyond my understanding, but to quickly dismiss the thought as communism is a rash judgment.
08-04-2010 04:34 PM
Advertisement

Kevin S Offline
1st String

(08-04-2010 11:22 AM)RobertN Wrote:  
(08-04-2010 08:57 AM)Kevin S Wrote:  Ground Zero Mosque Funded and Supported by Jihadists, Hamas and the Government of Iran

03-lmfao I am sorry but did I miss something? That was an article written by someone who obviously has an agenda(ie. read the title of his book). Second, nowhere in the article does it say what you claim.

First its kind of funny that you mention that the author has an agenda when you have your own left wing agenda. Secondly:

"The idea of building an Islamic peace memorial in lower Manhattan was circulating as early as 2003. Its early proponents were two Iranian brothers, M. Jafar "Amir" Mahallati, who served as ambassador of the Iranian Islamic Republic to the United Nations from 1987 to 1989, and M. Hossein Mahallati. Amir Mahallati had served with Rauf in the leadership of an obscure nonprofit, the Interfaith Center of New York, for which Rauf was a vice chair and Mahallati a board member. The two had also participated in a 2006 radio program, "From Turmoil to Tourism: Following the Path of Abraham."

Hossein Mahallati had experience of his own in the intersecting New York worlds of charitable giving and property management. He was director from 1983 to 1992 of the Alavi Foundation, set up in 1973 by the government of the shah of Iran as the Pahlavi Foundation, but taken over and renamed after the Khomeini revolution. The Alavi Foundation is currently the subject of a federal civil action seeking forfeiture of assets, including an office building at 650 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and four Shia mosques and schools in New York, California, Maryland, and Texas.

While U.S. sanctions on the Alavi Foundation, announced in 2009, received little notice, the government's charges are disturbing. They include control of Alavi by the Tehran dictatorship through its diplomats at the United Nations, and transfer of income from the office building at 650 Fifth Avenue to Bank Melli, the Iranian national financial institution. Bank Melli had been designated a "Weapons of Mass Destruction proliferator" by the U.S. Treasury Department. Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Stuart Levey noted, "The international community has recognized the proliferation risks posed by Iran's Bank Melli." In late 2009, the Alavi Foundation's last head, Farshid Jahedi, pled guilty to two felony counts of obstruction of justice for destroying documents about the Alavi-Melli relationship that had been subpoenaed in the investigation, which continues. Jahedi was sentenced on April 29 to three months' imprisonment, six months' supervised release, and a $3,000 fine.

Hossein Mahallati was the subject of an unsuccessful federal inquiry in 1992 regarding an alleged conspiracy to export biological warfare materials to Iran. His predecessor as Alavi director, Manoucher Shafie, who managed the foundation's transition from serving the shah's government to that of Ayatollah Khomeini, was charged with conspiring to export prohibited U.S. technology to Iran. Neither was prosecuted.

Hossein Mahallati remains an enthusiastic supporter of Rauf's Ground Zero enterprise, especially since an Egyptian property developer, Sharif El-Gamal, who appears to be the real leader of the effort, using Rauf as his public face, put up $4.85 million in cash to purchase the location. El-Gamal is chief executive officer of Soho Properties, Inc., a commercial real estate investment firm he founded in 2003. His partner is Nour Mousa, another guiding figure in the Ground Zero mosque effort and the nephew of Amr Moussa, head of the Arab League. Amr Moussa was the first major Arab leader to go to Gaza and affirm support for Hamas, in mid-June, after the recent blockade-running assault.

El-Gamal has kept a low profile in the dispute over the appearance of an Islamic institution near Ground Zero, although last week he appeared before a hearing of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission to announce that Cordoba House will now be known as Park51. He and Rauf have both taken to downplaying the religious character of the proposal, preferring that the building be called a "community center."

So far, then, the Ground Zero Islamic facility rests on a support network linked to the anti-Jewish Mahathir and the Perdana-supported Gaza raiders, some notable servants of the Iranian clerical dictatorship, and an Egyptian property developer associated with the pro-Hamas chief of the Arab League."

These are really a bunch of great guys and gals showing that Islam is really a religion of peace and love.
08-04-2010 09:51 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

(08-04-2010 09:51 PM)Kevin S Wrote:  
(08-04-2010 11:22 AM)RobertN Wrote:  

First its kind of funny that you mention that the author has an agenda when you have your own left wing agenda. Secondly:

"The idea of building an Islamic peace memorial in lower Manhattan was circulating as early as 2003. Its early proponents were two Iranian brothers, M. Jafar "Amir" Mahallati, who served as ambassador of the Iranian Islamic Republic to the United Nations from 1987 to 1989, and M. Hossein Mahallati. Amir Mahallati had served with Rauf in the leadership of an obscure nonprofit, the Interfaith Center of New York, for which Rauf was a vice chair and Mahallati a board member. The two had also participated in a 2006 radio program, "From Turmoil to Tourism: Following the Path of Abraham."

Hossein Mahallati had experience of his own in the intersecting New York worlds of charitable giving and property management. He was director from 1983 to 1992 of the Alavi Foundation, set up in 1973 by the government of the shah of Iran as the Pahlavi Foundation, but taken over and renamed after the Khomeini revolution. The Alavi Foundation is currently the subject of a federal civil action seeking forfeiture of assets, including an office building at 650 Fifth Avenue in Manhattan and four Shia mosques and schools in New York, California, Maryland, and Texas.

While U.S. sanctions on the Alavi Foundation, announced in 2009, received little notice, the government's charges are disturbing. They include control of Alavi by the Tehran dictatorship through its diplomats at the United Nations, and transfer of income from the office building at 650 Fifth Avenue to Bank Melli, the Iranian national financial institution. Bank Melli had been designated a "Weapons of Mass Destruction proliferator" by the U.S. Treasury Department. Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence Stuart Levey noted, "The international community has recognized the proliferation risks posed by Iran's Bank Melli." In late 2009, the Alavi Foundation's last head, Farshid Jahedi, pled guilty to two felony counts of obstruction of justice for destroying documents about the Alavi-Melli relationship that had been subpoenaed in the investigation, which continues. Jahedi was sentenced on April 29 to three months' imprisonment, six months' supervised release, and a $3,000 fine.

Hossein Mahallati was the subject of an unsuccessful federal inquiry in 1992 regarding an alleged conspiracy to export biological warfare materials to Iran. His predecessor as Alavi director, Manoucher Shafie, who managed the foundation's transition from serving the shah's government to that of Ayatollah Khomeini, was charged with conspiring to export prohibited U.S. technology to Iran. Neither was prosecuted.

Hossein Mahallati remains an enthusiastic supporter of Rauf's Ground Zero enterprise, especially since an Egyptian property developer, Sharif El-Gamal, who appears to be the real leader of the effort, using Rauf as his public face, put up $4.85 million in cash to purchase the location. El-Gamal is chief executive officer of Soho Properties, Inc., a commercial real estate investment firm he founded in 2003. His partner is Nour Mousa, another guiding figure in the Ground Zero mosque effort and the nephew of Amr Moussa, head of the Arab League. Amr Moussa was the first major Arab leader to go to Gaza and affirm support for Hamas, in mid-June, after the recent blockade-running assault.

El-Gamal has kept a low profile in the dispute over the appearance of an Islamic institution near Ground Zero, although last week he appeared before a hearing of the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission to announce that Cordoba House will now be known as Park51. He and Rauf have both taken to downplaying the religious character of the proposal, preferring that the building be called a "community center."

So far, then, the Ground Zero Islamic facility rests on a support network linked to the anti-Jewish Mahathir and the Perdana-supported Gaza raiders, some notable servants of the Iranian clerical dictatorship, and an Egyptian property developer associated with the pro-Hamas chief of the Arab League."

These are really a bunch of great guys and gals showing that Islam is really a religion of peace and love.
I read the article. You did't have to post it again. It still doesn't see anything that shows that any of those groups fund or support it(he almost makes a case for support from those groups but still falls a little short.
08-05-2010 12:53 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Awesome repost of the article. Thanks.
08-05-2010 09:01 AM
NIU17 Offline
All American

(08-04-2010 04:34 PM)Huskie359 Wrote:  

I can certainly see along this line of thinking. How many have died in the history of the world in the name of whomever or whatever God they believed in? Millions? Tens of Millions? Hundreds of Millions?

What if everyone's religion was simply adhere to the "Golden Rule?"

It's an interesting philosophical debate that likely goes well beyond my understanding, but to quickly dismiss the thought as communism is a rash judgment.

People would still go to war for different reasons because of pride, prejudice, greed, etc.
08-05-2010 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.